Noninvasive Prehospital Cooling Using the Cryo Cooling System
- Average temperature drop of 1.7°C in 31 minutes1
– Tympanic temperature in healthy volunteers (University Hospitals, Cleveland, OH).
- Average temperature drop of 1.3°C in 45 minutes2
– Esophageal temperature in cardiac transport patients already cooled via chilled saline. (VitaLink/AirLink Critical Care Transport, New Hanover, NC)
- Equal temperature drop to Chilled Saline – 1.5°C for Cryothermic vs. 1.4°C for Chilled Saline3
– Tympanic temperature drop in prehospital SCA patients (Prague, CZ)
- Cerebral Cooling Effectively Achieves Mild Therapeutic Hypothermia in Healthy Volunteers White, et. al., July 2013
- Maintenance of Therapeutic Hypothermia During Critical Care Interfacility Transport Collopy, et al, September 2014, Poster at the Air Medical Transport Conference.
- Noninvasive prehospital brain cooling of OHCA survivors using the Excel Cryo Cooling Device Skulec, Roman et al. Resuscitation , Volume 96, 134 . Skulec R et al. Brit Care 2010;14:R231.
Evidence Supports Early Cooling as an Alternative to Saline for SCA
AMERICAN HEART ASSOCIATION GUIDELINES 2015
The Task Force recommends targeted temperature management for adults with out-of-hospital cardiac arrest with an initial shockable rhythm at a constant temperature between 32°C and 36°C for at least 24 hours.
Similar suggestions are made for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest with a nonshockable rhythm and in-hospital cardiac arrest. The Task Force recommends against prehospital cooling with rapid infusion of large volumes of cold intravenous fluid.2
Issues with Chilled Saline
- Hard to maintain cooling consistancy – patients re-warm.
- High rate of re-arrest (26%) and pulmonary edema.4
- Shivering is common side effect.
Not All Cooling Packs Are Created Equal
- Reaches -5.0°C in seconds
- Skin safe (proprietary fabric)
- 20-30 minutes below 0°C
Economic Impact of Fever
Fever is detrimental in the setting of acute neurologic insults, and approximately 70% of Neurologic Intensive Care patients develop fever.
The increased length of stay due to fever equates to an estimate of $10,074 in additional ICU costs and $17,414 in additional hospital costs.5
Contact us today with your specific needs or requests.